AMS ROLLER SKI CHAMPIONSHIPS
CALLING NOTICE – FIRST ARMY MEDICAL SERVICES ROLLER SKI CHAMPIONSHIPS: 28 OCT 18.
All AMS Nordic skiers and potential Nordic skiers are invited to the first AMS Roller-Ski championships which will be held on 28 Oct 18 at Castle Combe race circuit in Wiltshire. These championships will run in conjunction to the Wessex Biathlon Nordic Festival 2018.
To improve the AMS representation at the Army Nordic Skiing these championships are the culmination of several roller ski training weekends. The roller ski instruction will be delivered by British Association of Snowsport Instructors (BASI) and AMS experienced skiers.
The aim of the day is to:
- Provide through year training focus.
- Provide incremental training progression and a means of assessing that progression e.g. entering the various roller ski competitions throughout the year.
- Provide a technique ‘master class’ to maximise limited ‘on-snow’ time later in the year.
- Attract novice skiers with a positive, progressive and developmental ‘club’ environment.
ONLINE FORMS / RULES / REFERENCE DOCUMENTS
- 2018DIN07-077 Army European Winter Activity Instruction 2018/19
- JSP 456 Vol 2 Chap 7 CILOR
- ACSO 3206 Army Welfare Funds
- AMSSC Rules dated Jan 14 and AWSA Nordic and Alpine Rules 2017.
- JSP 765 MOD Compensation Schemes Statement of Policy
- JSP 375 Management of H7S in Defence
- 2018DIN10-016 Army Sports Lottery
- ASCB Authority letter dated 8 Aug 18
RULES AND ELIGIBILITY
The meeting will be conducted in accordance with the Army Medical Services Ski Club Ski Race Rules, which are based on the Army Winter Sports Association (AWSA) Race rules. The AMSSC Rules can be obtained on request from the Club Secretary. The AWSA Rules can be found on the AWSA website. Team Captains need to be fully conversant of the Rules so that they are aware of the criteria for eligibility and are aware of what competitions are open to their individuals and teams.
Individual Eligibility. Any individual who is a member of the Regular or Reserve and on the posted strength of an AMS unit, or who is a member of the Regular AMS may compete as an individual in the AMSSC competitions.
In each race a team consists of 4 skiers. A unit ‘A’ team need not comprise of the same 4 racers in each of the events in that discipline. To compete for the overall trophies units must enter both Nordic and Alpine teams.
Members of the AMS unable to participate in a team may compete as individuals and are also encouraged to form Hors Concours teams.
Affiliation for Sports. An affiliation of individuals to units must be cleared via the AMSSU or AMSSC Committee before the Ski Meeting. If unsure, contact either Col Toney, Col Campbell for further clarification.
Novice/Vets/Super Vets and Junior Competitor. Definitions of competitor category are detailed in the below table:
|Athlete is:||Novice||Junior||Senior||Veteran||Super Veteran|
|Season Years||If not on Nordic/Alpine skis before||If born in||If born in or before|
(18 – 19)
|1 Jul 18||1998/99||1997||1984||1974|
(19 – 20)
|1 Jul 19||1999/00||1998||1985||1975|
(02 – 21)
|1 Jul 20||2000/01||1999||1986||1976|
Team Captains are reminded that they must declare both Novices and Juniors on the Team Entry form and on arrival in resort inform the Committee of which races they intend to compete in for Combined Team awards.
ARRIVAL / REGISTRATION
The Race Office location will be situated within the Le Frog facilities. All unit representatives and non-unit individuals are to report to the Club Secretary (Capt Trudy Johnson: 0044 75951155983 and or Capt Danny Austin: 0044 7825233203) on arrival in Villeneuve, at the Race Office on Sat 26 Jan 19 between 1200hrs and 2100hrs for registration (historically referred to as MCCP). Alternatively Sun 27 Jan 19 between 1200hrs and 1500hrs. The first Team Capts Mtg will take place at 1800hrs on Sun 27 Jan 19. It is imperative that all teams are booked in ahead of the first Team Capts Mtg.
Team Captains are to present the following documentation:
- Up to date team/group list. Accom details in Serre Chevalier.
- Ex PS Risk Assessment signed off by the Unit Commanding Officer.
- Copies of insurance certificates for all team members and individuals (whether racing or recreational skiing).
- Entry Fees if not already paid.
- Next of Kin and/or Emergency Contact information for all team members.
- Unit contact details – to include the CO and Adjt names and telephone numbers and the duty Fd Offr’s mobile number.
- Mobile tel number for Alpine and Nordic TCs – a TCs WhatsApp group will be set up at Ex PS to assist passage of information.
- Vehicle details (VRNs, make, model and colour).
Programmed arrival times are:
- Officials – Elements of the Committee will be arriving from Wed 23 Jan 19.
- Teams/IndiV – Arrival Sat/Sun 26/27 Jan 19.
Opening Times. All queries, problems or concerns relating to Ex PROTON SERPENT 19 are to be addressed to the Club Secretary or a member of the Club Committee (see distribution for full list of Committee members) in the first instance. The Race Office will be open daily as follows:
- 1830– 1930hrs.
There is no in-resort handler for accommodation; and Units and Team Captains are to arrange suitable accommodation. To be near the Race Office, Team Captain’s Meeting Room, and social activity venues, proximity to Villeneuve village is strongly recommended. Below are the recommended accommodation POC in-resort.
Serre Chevalier Vallée Réservation
Tel: Claire Burton. 0033 (0)4 92 24 98 80
Tel: Daniella Jouglard. 0033 (0)6 72 36 75 97
The Alpine and Nordic training and competition at Ex PROTON SERPENT 19 is designated Individual Military Training (IMT) status and thus participants are eligible to Public Funding for the majority of expenditure relating attendance. All Team Captains should read and understand the funds (Public and Non-Public) available and outlined in Reference A.
RSDs for Reserve Personnel. Authority is to be sought through HQ 2 Med Bde in regards to RSDs for those Reserve personnel attending Ex PROTON SERPENT 19
LIFT PASS COSTS
Alpine Lift Passes
A 30% reduction has been negotiated for Alpine Lift passes of 11 days’ duration (to cover all Alpine training and competition). For planning purposes, the cost of an 11-day pass, inclusive of 30% discount, is €332.20 – prices in £s will be confirmed nearer to Nov (using the FFR rate) when Team Capts will be required to pay Capt Trudy Johnson by cheque or by direct transfer into the AMSSC Bank Account. – details of the bank account are: AMS Ski Club – Account Number: 73603938 – Sort Code: 20-80-33. Cheques can be paid direct into the bank locally, direction on how to do this should be sought from Capt Johnson.
Nordic Loipe Passes
All Units MUST be in possession of valid Nordic Loipe passes if they intend to use the loipes and compete in the Nordic Races. These are available via ESF at a considerable discount and can be purchased via the AMSSC Secretary once in resort. Further communication will be provided on how to pre-book Nordic Loipe Passes, expected to cost in the range of €45 – €50 per person.